Wednesday, November 2, 2011

About Me - Ryan Arciero

I thought I’d add this blog post to offer a bit of information about who I am as an English and Secondary Education major student, as well as my background and goals for teaching. I went to Providence Catholic High School and grew to have a passion for reading and Language Arts courses there. My mother, an Elementary Education school teacher, inspired within me a love for wanting to pass on my knowledge and love of learning to students.  Both of these factors encouraged me to pursue a career in English and Secondary Education, which is why I decided to attend Lewis University in Romeoville, Illinois, as my college of choice. I have been extremely pleased with my professors and class work here, and am excited about continuing my education to teach in a high school Language Arts classroom someday.

In addition to my schooling, I have also finished writing my first novel, The Skyscraper of Babel, a story about five teens who are killed before their time and wake up in the mysterious land of Limbo.
One day, I hope to either incorporate my book into my teaching, or at least use it as a source of modeling for my students who have their own dreams about becoming writers or publishing a work of their own.  In my experience, writing is an excellent and creative form of release that spurs ingenuity and sharper intellectual skills in students who pursue it.  According to educational websites, writing has such benefits as:

-Encouraging students' critical thinking skills
-Promoting better communication and expression in the classroom
-Creating a stronger sense of an inclusive classroom atmosphere
-Foster students' feelings of closeness and appreciation
-Improve student reading and writing abilities through practice

For more information on writing, promoting writing, and the benefits of writing in the classroom, here are a couple of useful and interesting education-related links to check out.

Thanks for reading about me, and I will stay updated as to my continued educational goals and writing aspirations in the future.  With more reading and writing, I believe that teachers can cultivate more grounded and able students in their English classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment